Friday, June 19, 2009

China May 2009-6

Saturday, early morning before I knew the time
Yesterday was 3rd clinic day. The day where we had to sleep overnight in the village in bunkbeds with Tom and Jerry (well just Jerry) attire. But I've skipped ahead.
I woke up Friday morning with the thought that it was Thursday-wrong!!
It was a tough wake up morning. I had a tight right shoulder from playing the 'tops' with the natives and having the air conditioning on while I slept. It's okay-Cindy, Janet's mom, is the nurse and can give me a massage. (She did-plus a few others helped out!) We did devos and headed out for breakfast. We had breakfast of rice noodles again! They are so tasty.
We were off for out 2 1/2 hour drive to the village with 'little' mountains and winding roads. I sat in the back of the bus, across from Julianna and behind Cindy and Anna-behind us in the long seat was Dad, Dorothy, and James. James kept looking over my shoulder seeing what I was doing-he saw that I was doing Sudoku and has never been taught, so he asked me to teach him later.
About an hour was left by the time we stopped for a potty break at this little park-stretch our legs, try to not step in huge mudd puddles. Back on the bus.
We got to the government house-where we would be doing the clinic. We had time to stretch our legs, look around, go pee before we walked up the road through the village to lunch.
There were little chickens, hens, dogs running around at the lunch place. Ok clarify only the chix and the hens were running around-the dog lay lifeless with his tongue hanging out...in the fridge; not the whole dog-half of him.
We headed back to the government officials house to set up for clinic. We saw over 120 people in that afternoon, giving out 126 pairs of glasses. I did the reading part of the clinic again-I loved it. After the clinic we all headed back up the hill for dinner, in the rain. This meal was mostly grean looking with green leafy veggies, cucumbers, rice, a little meat and I had a coke to drink.
(not written down in journal-recall from memory)
It rained of course that night, yet the officials still wanted to play a game of basketball against the Americans. We played...so scary. I cut my lounge pants off so that they were make-shift shorts. I only had crocs to play in--not a good idea. The ground was so slippery. We played--Americans against China Government officials. Such an awesome game. Oh did I mention that I fell?! Yup, wipe out. Everyone was so nice, course they all thought I scraped/ripped/broke something...not a scratch!
(Course I was a little sore in the morning.)
So our clinic the following morning didn't have hardly as many people as the day before, so we closed up shop early and decided to head home--stopping on the way at a little park. Headed back to the hotel for a restful night and day off the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment